Prep to Year 6
Our primary school is a place of fun and discovery!
Our teachers understand that every child learns differently and through the fostering of positive student-teacher relationships, we are able to focus on each student’s individual needs.
In primary school, our students establish life-long friendships within a loving community of teachers, staff and students. We provide a firm foundation of strong literacy and maths skills that are balanced with holistic, outdoor experiences aimed at developing the whole child.
Along with an academically sound core-curriculum, your child will also benefit from:
- Student support and enrichment programs including English as a Second Language and the Challenge Program for Gifted students.
- Experiences with nature in the Kitchen Garden Program from Year 2
- Yearly camps starting in Year 4
- Emotional and social development through the You Can Do It Program, which extends from Prep to Year 12
- Performing Arts and sporting opportunities
- Encounter, our holistic religious education curriculum, and weekly Chapel services
Set within the framework of a Biblical, Christian worldview, our primary academic curriculum is consistent with both State and Federal Government requirements.
Core subjects include:
- LOTE - Japanese
- Health and Physical Education
- Religious Education
Kitchen Garden Program
This program promotes healthy lifestyle choices and teaches primary students from Years 2-6 to grow, harvest and prepare their own seasonal produce each week. Our beautiful garden was designed and built by members of our school community. It also acts as an ‘outdoor classroom’ for a wide range of additional learning opportunities ranging from environmental studies to art.
You Can Do It
Darling Downs Christian School is a “You Can Do It – Program Achieve” community, focusing on empowering children to make wise decisions and to develop a sense of responsibility and participation in school life. Our You Can Do It classes give our students the head start they need to become future leaders and contributors in their communities.
Our primary school camps are fun and exciting, but also provide unique opportunities to teach academic, personal and social skills. Students are encouraged to take part in challenges that promote an active lifestyle, foster the building of trust and participation and encourage safe risk-taking in controlled contexts.